People of all ages enjoy a good story…but the act of good storytelling? Well, let’s just call it an art. The best stories are told with a passion and conviction that makes them seem unique. In other words, the story may or may not be all that great – but when told by someone who has mastered storytelling, any story sounds good. Small businesses have the ability to be master storytellers, especially when they are enthusiastic about what they can do for their clients. Important to note is the potential for small businesses to attract as many readers as any large business. Blogs level the playing field, so to speak…and small businesses can tell good stories as well as large companies.
Small businesses may target different markets than large corporations, but both have the same goal. Companies of all sizes want to ensure customer satisfaction while earning revenue. So, how do blogs fit into the mix? Well, for one thing, blogs help drive potential clients to your website. Businesses of all sizes find a company blog is a powerful inbound marketing tool. Small businesses may especially like one of the primary advantages storytelling offers – it increases their chances of being found online.
Small business have stories to tell, too!
Every business has a story behind it and people are waiting to hear yours. Ready to get started? There are infinite numbers of ways for a small business to tell its story through blog posts. These are a few to get you started:
- The person or people behind your business can use the company blog as a way to introduce themselves to the world, or at least the Internet. This means the people who visit your blog get to know you, as well as your brand. Tell your audience as much or as little about yourself as you like, but understand you represent your business.
- A good story captivates, then holds its audience’s attention from beginning to end. Your business can use effective storytelling to persuade and motivate your target market into learning more about your products and/or solutions. Use keywords to draw potential clients to your website, then follow through with moxie. When your message entices and educates – rather than blasts or self-promotes – you have a better chance of gaining and closing leads.
- When a story really resonates within its readers, their first impulse is to share it with as many people as possible. Social media makes sharing easier than ever before so good (and some not-so-good) stories are spread far and wide, all in the blink of an eye. “Create an experience around social media, and you’ll get more traction than you could imagine.” (Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/inc-well/Stories-to-Fuel-Businesses-in-2013-185317962.html). A good story also makes readers feel connected, which is a good step towards developing positive relationships with them. Positive relationships help businesses gain positive reputations – and the potential for increased business opportunities.
Is your small business ready for storytelling?
When you start thinking of your blog as a place for sharing your stories with potential clients as opposed to a way to blast your message, then you’re going in the right direction. Although storytelling doesn’t come easily for everyone, it’s not impossible. The only way to find out is to give it a shot. Your audience will let you know how you’re doing.
Does your small business have stories to tell? I’m sure it does…and I would be glad to hear your comments, questions or suggestions!
~ Contact Jenn Hanford at 214.250.4788 or email@example.com
Image courtesy of Tanatat / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Follow @jplussocial on Twitter
- 5 Things Your #SEO Strategy Needs to Focus on Entering 2015 http://t.co/FUkqBWDrVJ about 16 hours ago from Hootsuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
- 5 Must Know #B2BMarketing Trends for 2015 http://t.co/ot3OLxX6Iv about 18 hours ago from Hootsuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Thanks for the share, @eBizResultsLLC! cc: @memktgservices about 19 hours ago from Hootsuite in reply to eBizResultsLLC ReplyRetweetFavorite
- 3 Tips to Help You Rock the #Linkedin Publishing Platform http://t.co/E2yte8Z1I0 via @memktgservices about 20 hours ago from Hootsuite ReplyRetweetFavorite